Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, October 10, 2017

    A Beautiful Voice

    Reading all of the horrifying allegations about Harvey Weinstein and his treatment of women and actresses through the years has made me think about this very special lady, Grace Lee Whitney, who played Yeoman Rand on the first season of #StarTrek. She had the most incredible romantic chemistry with Captain Kirk/William Shatner! (Watch how she unconsciously moves toward him any time a threat arises on the bridge of the Enterprise.)
    In her autobiography, she revealed a harrowing account of sexual assault by a TV executive she will only refer to as "The Executive". She was so traumatized by the incident that she ended up tanking her career in a years-long battle with alcohol and drugs. She finally emerged triumphant and I was fortunate enough to meet her at a Star Trek convention in Las Vegas before she died. She was gracious and charming and told me she thought I looked like her, which was truly one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. 
    I hope that today she knows that steps are finally being taken to eradicate this "casting couch" mentality from show business forever and that courageous voices like hers will no longer be silenced.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    <- gibberishlyous.
    God's love ain't, dear:
    ☆ en.gravatar.com/MatteBlk ☆
    GBY