Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, March 20, 2007

    A Hero by Any Other Name...

    First of all, let me begin by saying that I have read some absolutely wonderful romance novels with heroes named Harry (Connie Brockway's AS YOU DESIRE anyone?), Bill (Charlaine Harris's "Sookie Stackhouse" series), and Jack (Lisa Kleypas's SUDDENLY YOU) But I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for those nobleman blessed with such swoonworthy monikers as Gabriel, Sebastian and Tristan (with an occasional Damien thrown in for devilish effect).

    Character names have always been very important to me because I usually come up with my hero and heroine's names before I know anything else about their stories.

    I also have a fondness for outlaws so it's my personal opinion that all western heroes should be named "Billy" or "Jesse". When I wrote Billy Darling in NOBODY'S DARLING, his name told me everything I needed to know about his character. And lest someone should suggest that my names aren't realistic enough, I'll have you know that right after I finished my most recent novels AFTER MIDNIGHT and THE VAMPIRE WHO LOVED ME featuring brothers Adrian and Julian Kane, I received a note from my German translator telling me that her sons were named Adrian and Julian! She wanted me to give her third son his "own book" but alas, his name is "Fabian." A gorgeous name but a shade too close to "Fabio" for my comfort.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to "Simon" in SOME LIKE IT WICKED. He's a very naughty hero and he needs my guidance ;)